Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why You Should Worry

Imagine you could only access the internet with one brand of computer and through one ISP, or that you could use 2 or 3 brands of computer and 2 or 3 ISP's but you could not access the entire internet with any one computer and with any one ISP. A drag right? Well...

If things stay the same way they are now, one of these 2 scenarios could happen in electronic publishing. That is why the publishing industry must adopt a universal format that can be used by the any manufacturer of ebook readers.

I have a Sony PRS-505. I can't say why, but reading with it is great - I can't put it down. The only problem is that all of the books I want to read are not available in ebook form. Furthermore, I do not have access to all of the ebooks out there because many ebooks are in a different format.

I have suggestions for the publishing industry, for book sellers, for Sony, and for Amazon that I will lay out over the coming weeks. Furthermore, as soon as I figure out how, I will create routine so that you will be able to send an e-mail message to publishers, ebook reader manufacturers, book sellers, congressmen, and even the President urging the establishment of a standard and open format for ebook publishing.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment